If you are planning to be a volunteer this school year at Briarwood, you must complete the MVP training. Briarwood is going to host a training on Wednesday, August 22nd at 6:30 p.m. In addition to the training offered at Briarwood, you may attend any training that is offered throughout the district. You may click on the this link, https://www.smsd.org/families/volunteer-mvp, to see a list of upcoming MVP trainings. For more information about the MVP program please read the information below.
Thank you for your interest in the Shawnee Mission School District’s My Volunteer Pal (MVP) program! Educating and caring for today’s students is a collaborative partnership, and volunteers play a valuable role in making our classrooms, schools and district great!
In as little as thirty minutes per week, you can make a positive difference in the life of a student. The Shawnee Mission School District MVP Program connects adult volunteers with students ages four to 18. MVPs can assist in a wide range of school activities, including mentoring, volunteering in the classroom, joining classes and schools for field trips, tutoring in a variety of subjects, or simply being a positive, adult role model in the life of a student. No special skills are required; only a willingness to commit your time and energy and the ability to develop a good relationship with a young person. Volunteers enjoy flexible schedules, and most activities take place on school grounds, during school hours.
Examples of opportunities include, but are not limited to:
- Chaperones for SMSD-approved Field Trips*
- Examples: band, orchestra, camps, Wildwood, Cheerleading, Dance Trips, DECA, journalism, thespians, sports, etc.
- Chat ‘n Chew
- Chess Club
- Mad Science**
- Master Gardeners**
- Classroom volunteers.
- Watch Dogs
*Refer to SMSD BOE Policy IFCB for a definition of USD 512 Approved Field Trips and Non-Sanctioned Field Trips.
**MVP training is required anytime a student is handed off to another adult before or after school who is not the parent, guardian, parent approved adult, or school employee (i.e. after-school activities).
Steps to Become a MVP Volunteer (please do these steps in order):
- Complete an online MVP application. Visit https://www.smsd.org/families/volunteer-mvp for more information.
- It is recommended that MVP applicant’s begin the process at least six weeks prior to a scheduled event or activity.
- Applicants must complete the online application before they can do fingerprinting. Fingerprinting must be repeated every three years.
- Attend a MVP training session. District training dates and times are posted on the “Volunteering” page on the district’s website: https://www.smsd.org/families/volunteer-mvp. Check with specific schools for additional training opportunities.
- Morning MVP sessions, which combine the training and fingerprint screenings, are limited to 12 participants and require a reservation. Please call 913-993-6447 or email email@example.com to check for availability and make a reservation.
- Complete Fingerprinting. Drop-in fingerprint screening is available at the Center for Academic Achievement, 8200 W. 71st Street, Shawnee Mission, KS 66204, on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:30a.m. to 12:00p.m. and from 1:00p.m. to 4:00p.m.
- Fingerprint screenings can only be done AFTER attending a training session AND completing the online application.
Thank you again for your interest in the SMSD MVP Program. We are excited to work with you toward helping ALL students succeed! Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (913) 993-6447 for more information.