Did you know ways to keep you and your family healthy during the holiday season? Please follow these 4 basic food safety steps: Clean, Separate, Cook, and Chill.
- Hand washing is one of the best ways to prevent the spread of foodborne illness. Remember to wash your hands for 20 seconds before and after handling food.
- Wash all kitchen counters, dishes, and utensils with hot soapy water.
- Prevent cross-contamination by keeping raw meat, poultry, seafood and eggs separate from all other foods.
- Designate one cutting board for fresh produce and another for raw meat, poultry, seafood, and eggs.
- Use a food thermometer to ensure your foods have been cooked to the proper minimum internal temperature.
- Keep food at 140° F or above after cooking.
- Microwave food thoroughly to 165° F.
- Refrigerate perishable foods within 2 hours. Remember to store leftovers within 2 hours as well.
- Know when to throw food out. When in doubt, throw it out.
Stay food safe with Alvin and the Chipmunks! Check out the homepage for USDA and Ad Council’s partnership with the new movie from 20th Century FOX, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip at: http://www.foodsafety.gov/multimedia/kids/
Don’t forget – if your child receives free or reduced meals, they are eligible for one breakfast and one lunch per day as part of this benefit. All breakfast and lunch meal choices are available for all students regardless of eligibility status.
The school breakfast menus, lunch menus, and other nutrition information are available on the district’s website at http://foodservices.smsd.org.